The Lost Chambers Aquarium is nestled in the heart of a 5 star family resort Atlantis the Palm, Dubai. The marine and freshwater species are quite diverse – with representative animals from all continents, rivers and oceans all over the world, including local species in Dubai. The famous Aquarium boasts over 350 different species and 65,000 marine animals, jellyfish and seahorse propagation along with a diverse breeding population of elasmobranchs with 7 species already successfully reproduced. Our state of the art exhibits vary in size, from 1,000 liter interactive touch tanks to our impressive 12 million liter Ambassador Lagoon.
The successful person will be working in the largest aquarium in Middle East & Africa and one of the most famous aquariums in the world! With 21 small exhibits and the largest collection of diverse local species found in the Arabian Gulf in an open air habitat, you will demonstrate a high level of expertise and education whilst maintaining extremely high standards at all times, applying highly competent Aquarist and supervisory skills.
You will also be working closely with our dedicated Water Quality team, who ensure supreme water runs independently through our life support systems for each exhibit. State of the art Quarantine facilities and restaurant grade diets all contribute to the superb health of animals in our collection, where the highest quality of water is a result of natural seawater drawn from the Arabian Gulf with the most experienced, enthusiastic and dedicated team of professionals collaborating their skills to achieve an outstanding result producing a breathtaking facility.
As we continue to grow and develop, we have a unique opportunity for a passionate Senior Aquarist to join our team of Marine professionals!
The successful person will manage and oversee the healthy living conditions, proper nutrition and constant care for all marine and freshwater animals in our Aquarium. This will also include managing the feeding schedules, daily maintenance of facilities, water analysis and animal observations.
The following duties and responsibilities will also be undertaken ion this role;
- Compile daily reports on animal observations and record any abnormalities or changes in behaviors
- Apply analytical and technical skills to interpret information from animal records, observations and department logbooks
- Recognize diseases and maintain dietary requirements
- Apply and manage fish treatment and water quality programs on a daily basis
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance for the aquarium exhibits and equipment
- Apply animal husbandry skills
- Supervise a team of Marine professionals
Desired Skills and Experience
The successful candidate must also possess the following to be considered;
- Hold a PADI open water Scuba Certification or equivalent
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree preferably in Biology, Zoology, Marine Science or related field
- 5 years aquarium experience with 12 months supervisory experience
- Possess sound computer skills including all Microsoft applications
- Demonstrate the ability to mentor, coach and give direction to junior level positions
- Ability to work autonomously and within a team environment
- Enjoy guest interaction with the ability to display a high level of customer service
This position requires a dynamic person to join a culture of 80 plus nationalities, where you will be a part of a large team that creates an environment where people strive to do their best. Understanding the company’s vision and demonstrating its core values will be highly regarded.